About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Brooke an official 20 something living in the town that stole my heart Columbia, Missouri. I started this blog because best way to spread the light of Christ is to share it. Here it goes...

Friday, December 31, 2010

The Race

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

In high school I was all about running track. So it comes as no surprise that the Lord is teaching me through this well noted verse. After reading it, I kept turning over the words “set before us.” Last night I came to the realization that I have been running a lot of races that the Lord has not put in front of me. Meaning I have been competing for prizes that are not the crown of righteousness. Here are a few examples:

-Having the best career

-Most fashionable

-Being the most creative

-Having more friends

-Needing the least amount of help

As silly as they are I’m sad to say the list goes on. These pick-up races are things that take our eyes of the goal. They are like a treadmill, keeping you busy, but always in the same spot. Think about it. Are you mentally exhausted all the time? Do you want to shut everything out? Are constantly frustrated that you are not good enough? Maybe you too are competing in these made up competitions.

Here is my encouragement: Drop out. I’m not saying don’t try your best in whatever the Lord puts in front of you. What I am saying is stop comparing, and being competitive with your brothers and sisters. There is no need, and no gain. When you put all of your energy into finishing the race that God has set before you, life has a lot more peace. You are able to have real community instead of scheming on how to outdo your neighbor. All in all you are content.

Thank the Lord, Christ has won the only victory that matters. Remembering this I am turning around and running the way I should have been going the whole time, towards Him. Ready…set…

No comments: