About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Brooke an official 20 something living in the town that stole my heart Columbia, Missouri. I started this blog because best way to spread the light of Christ is to share it. Here it goes...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

For Christina

On September 11, 2001 Christina Taylor was born. On Saturday January 8th 2011 she was killed by a bullet through her small chest in Arizona. In senseless shootings such as this Columbine, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, and multiple others the same question remains: Who is to blame? Surely, something has set countless murders off. So whose responsibility is it? The makers of our gun laws? The parents who raised the shooter? What about the old man who sells the gun, or the college girl at Walmart who helped him purchase the bullets? Maybe we should all blame the media for their sensational stories that promise some kind of sick glory to anyone who is able to pull the trigger.

All I can say is I know the only person guiltless is God himself. When things like this happen it is not a time to shout blame at God. But, realize how much we need him in this fallen world. Our Jesus is the King of Peace. Even upon his capture to be taken to the cross he tells his disciple who wounds in his defense to put down the sword.

For awhile I have considered whether or not to get my right to carry. After this most recent shooting I’ve decided to not act on that right. This brutality has to stop somewhere. I can’t speak to if it is right as a country to have freedom to carry a fire arm or not. I’m not sure what the long term effects could be if we take away the guns, or if the tragedies will continue to escalate if we keep them. The only thing I can do is put complete trust in my safety to the Lord as long as He has me here, and this means I will never have any need of a gun. By no means am I trying to start a political debate, or tell you what to do. This is just a step in my own life to stop blaming, and start taking responsibility for why parents keep losing their children, and loved ones. The Lord keeps reminding me that there are quite a few Is in responsibility. What are some ways in your own life you can make an impact on our violent culture? My heart breaks for Christina and the other victims’ families. Please join me for praying for everyone involved. Our Lord is a great comforter.

Note: As Christians we will have to make hard, and what some people may consider “dangerous" decisions for the sake of the gospel. This is what living in truth is, lining every part of our lives under Christ. GK Chesterton put it like this: " Jesus promised His disciples three things-that they would be completely fearless, absurdly happy, and in constant trouble." I would love to pray with you or talk to you more about any of these issues. Please feel free to e-mail me at epplebrooke@yahoo.com or comment here on the blog.

2 comments:

PrayerGrove said...

i finally read this one! i like how you ended it... I must say, that it was interesting to say you won't have a gun, but, you defend it well by saying that the replacement is to trust God with yourself, and finally, that we are to undergo hard things as Christians, for the sake of the Gospel, this is not for everyone, its a personal thing; When Christ has changed your heart, it continues to penetrate every aspect of your life, even your "rights" as a citizen, or ..dare i say, all rights.

Brooke said...

Thanks. I'm glad you were able to see that this isn't about politics, but about working out our own faith on how we can reflect Christ in all that we do.